Friday, February 11, 2011

Advice to the Future

I just finished watching what, to me, is probably the greatest television show ever created:  Babylon 5.  I started watching this show about 10 years ago, and for many reasons, didn't finish watching the final season until tonight.  As comprehensive and inspiring as the Star Trek universe is, and as elevated as it will always be to me, there is something about Babylon 5 that even Star Trek hasn't been quite able to reach.


In one of the final episodes, the character of Sheridan gives some advice to his unborn child.  I thought it was so well written that I decided to send this same message to Emma.  For those of you who don't know, I created an email address for Emma a long time ago.  On occasion, I send her messages.  Sometimes we want to say things to our children that they just won't understand - yet.  But we still need to say them.  In the hopes that she will one day appreciate these messages, I send them.  There is a joy in talking to your children as equals; as realized adults with their own passions, opinions, and paths.  So I say, why wait?  Say what you need to say now.

So Emma, I love you and I hope you enjoy this shared message one day:

Sheridan"I give you what little wisdom, I have. From time to time, you will make mistakes. They are inevitable. Sometimes, those mistakes will be huge. What matters is that you learn from them. There is nothing wrong with falling down, as long as you end up just two inches taller, when you pick yourself up off the floor. At times, you may end up far away from home. You may not be sure of where you belong anymore. Home is always there, because home is not a place. It is where ever your passion takes you. As you continue on your path, you will lose some friends and gain new ones. The process is painful, but often necessary. They will change and you will change, because life is change. From time to time, they must find their own way and that way may not be yours. Enjoy them for what they are and remember them for what they were. O, there is not much left. Except, I believe. I really do believe that sooner or later, no matter what happens, things do work out. Well we have hard times. We suffer. We lose loved ones. The road is never easy. It was never meant to be easy, but in the long run, if you stay true to what you believe, things do work out.  Always be willing to fight for what you believe in. It doesn't matter if  a thousand people agree with you or one person agrees with you. It doesn't matter if you stand completely alone. Fight for what you believe. Which brings me to the ... the first piece of advice my dad ever gave me and now I am giving to you. Never ..." 
Delenn: "Never start a fight, but always finish it." 
SheridanAlways, finish it."
- Sheridan's advice to his son, David: "Objects at Rest" 



I encourage all of you to send Emma messages from time to time.  I open the account every few months just so it doesn't deactivate from inactivity, but I never ready the messages.  They will remain unread until she can read them herself.  Go ahead.  Say something.  You'll be glad you did:

EmmaBeckwith@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic idea. I teared up a little thinking about what I might say. I have a first idea already. Will take some putting together so I'll do it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete