Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chick House?

Lately, Emma has been having more and more trouble going to sleep.  Whether it's nap time or bed time, she makes more and more excuses why she shouldn't go to sleep at that particular time.  Excuses can and have included:
  • I'm not tired.
  • My mouth hurts.
  • I'm hungry.
  • My hands are freezing.
  • My sock fell off.
  • It's a beautiful day.
  • It's not a beautiful day.
  • I have a boo boo.
  • I need to use the potty.
  • I peeped.
  • I pooped.
  • I'm bigger now.

Tonight's conversation was especially ridiculous.  After putting her to bed, Emma tried all of the above and even included some new ones.  Eventually she so completely convinced herself that there's some inexorable ailment which we need to pay attention to immediately, that she climbed out of bed and attempted to come down the stairs.

We coaxed her back to bed and the following ridiculous logic ensued:

Emma:  I want water.
Carina:  You have water right here in your sippy cup.
Emma:  No, I want MORE water.  (Apparently the cup wasn't full enough for her?!)
Carina:  (After Mike filled the cup.)  Here you go.
Emma:  I want a snack.
Carina:  You don't need a snack.  You just ate.
Emma:  There's a snack in your room.
Carina:  Yes, there's a snack in my room, but you aren't going to eat it.
Emma:  Why?!
Carina:  Because you don't need a snack, you just ate.
Emma:  I don't want to go to sleep.
Carina:  But you need to go to sleep.
Emma:  Why?
Carina:  Because you need energy so we can have fun tomorrow.
Emma:  Where are we going?
Carina:  I don't know.  Where do you want to go?
Emma:  A house.
Carina:  A house?  What kind of house?
Emma:  A chick house!
Carina:  A chick house?  What's a chick house? 
Emma:  I don't know.  I don't know that word.
Carina:  Ok. Well why don't you sleep on it and tell me what a chick house is in the morning.
Emma:  Ok.

She then promptly went to sleep without a sound.  The moral of this story is that if you tell your kids they can go to a chick house in the morning, they'll go to bed happily for you.  I'll let you know if I ever find out what a chick house is...

No comments:

Post a Comment